Monday, November 26, 2012

[Character Interview] Embrace by Stacey Rourke








 Embrace
 Author: Stacey Rourke
 Publisher: Anchor Group
 Pages: 194

Photobucket

Blurb:

Whether she likes it or not, eighteen year old Celeste Garrett has come to terms with being the Chosen One. She knew having a “normal life” would be tricky, between intense training sessions and epic demonic battles, but she didn’t know at what cost it would come. That is, until a dear friend is harmed by the malicious forces hunting her.

Now, she’d like nothing more than to retreat into a hermit lifestyle to prevent anyone else from getting hurt. But startling revelations, amazing new abilities, and mortifying moments in front of insanely hot guys won’t allow time for that. Soon, Celeste finds herself surrounded by darkness and wondering who she can trust—if anyone.


Character Interview of Celeste Garrett star of The Gryphon Series interviewed by Stacey Rourke, author of the series

Stacey-Celeste, thanks so much for being with us today!
Celeste-Uh, I only exist in your head. You know that, right? So it’s kind of a “where you go, I go” situation.
Stacey-(talking behind her hand) I get that, okay. But would you just please play along?
Celeste-Whatever, Boss Lady. Thanks for having me and congrats on your public display of schizophrenia.
Stacey-You’re mouthy. You know that?
Celeste-I am what you made me.
(Stacey scowls, Celeste gives her a big grin.)
Stacey-Let’s move on, shall we?
Celeste-Sure, this is fun!
Stacey-So, in book one of The Gryphon Series, The Conduit, you found out that because of a pact your ancestors made you’re the fabled Chosen One. How has your life changed since then?
Celeste-Well…I was going to go to college and be an art teacher. Now I have an army of demons chasing me and trying to kill me on a pretty much daily bases. So…uh…things have been better. Wait a sec, that was all YOUR doing! YOU made me the Chosen One! Why you…
Stacey-Next question?
(Celeste huffs.)
Stacey-Are you going to pout for the rest of the interview? I’ve done nice things for you, too! What about Caleb, we meet him in book 2, Embrace. He’s all kinds of fun eye candy! I made him just for you!
Celeste-He is pretty amazing. You cooked him up in your head?
Stacey-Yep! The face and hair of Ian Somerhalder, abs of Joe Manganiello, body of Alex Pettyfer and Irish accent of Gerard Butler. Nice, huh?
Celeste-Very! And I thank you for letting me play with your Frankenstien-esque creation, however I think you may be watching too much TV.
Stacey-Well this isn’t about me, is it?
Celeste-Easy, don’t get huffy. I have a question for you. (leaning in) So in book three do Caleb and I…(wiggles eyebrows suggestively)
Stacey-Celeste! First of all, if you aren’t mature enough to say what the act is you’re not ready to do it! Secondly, your Grams could be reading this!
Celeste- I know she is. Who do you think told me to do the eyebrow thing?
Stacey-Oh for crying out loud. Moving on.
Celeste-That wasn’t a yes or no.
Stacey-I guess you’ll just have to wait and see like everyone else. So, we also met Rowan in book 2, the golden haired bad boy pirate. Let’s talk a little bit about him.
Celeste-Oh, you mean the hot demon that can control my mind with a simple touch and makes me lose complete control of my inhibitions? Yeah, he’s a hoot. Thanks a bunch for that. That’ll make fidelity with Caleb super easy.
Stacey-Oh don’t worry, you won’t have to juggle both of them for very long.
Celeste-What?! Why? Is someone going somewhere?!
Stacey-Well that’s about all the time we have for today…
Celeste-No it’s not! I live in your head and will not let you sleep until you answer me!
Stacey-To our readers, please pick up The Conduit and Embrace by me, Stacey Rourke, and look for Sacrifice coming this fall wherever fine books are sold.
Celeste-Writers block will look like nothing compared to the sit in I’m staging until you answer me! Not one creative thought will leak out! Don’t act like you can’t hear me!
Stacey-Also catch a special Gryphon Series short in the Paranormal Days Gone Awry Anthology releasing this Halloween by Anchor Group Publishing.
Celeste-Ever gotten your butt kicked by a figment of your imagination? ‘Cause your itching for it, Rourke.
Stacey-Thank you to our guest, Celeste, for her time and thank you all for joining us. Happy reading!
Celeste-You. Me. Parking lot. Now.



A little about Stacey...

Writing is something I have always done.  I can remember in elementary school creating stories that I would stand up and read aloud to my classmates…whether they liked it or not.   As I grew older I didn’t flaunt my writing as freely.  It became something I did just for me  to vent my teenage angst, or chronicle my journey to adulthood.  I never thought about becoming a writer because that title prompted the visual of a grey-haired man in a tweed smoking jacket with suede elbow patches, slaving over an old fashion typewriter while puffing away on a pipe.  No way was that stuffy kind of life for me.  (Plus tweed is itchy.)  Instead I wanted to be in the spotlight!  I wanted to be–pause for dramatic effect–an actress!  I gave it my best shot, too.  Got about as far as any aspiring actress can get in Flint, Michigan.  Which is exactly no where.  But I did get two great things out of my time delving into the theatrical world; I gained the ability to act out the scenes I write to make sure they’re believable (yes, I really do that and no, you can’t watch) and I met my amazing husband.

My theater ambitions behind me, I decided to do the “mature,” “grown up” thing and went back to college.  As I worked toward my Bachelor’s degree in marketing I did a lot of writing.   Essays, research papers, PowerPoint presentations.  All of it mandatory, none of it what I would ever call fun.  Even then, becoming a writer never entered my mind.  No, then I was going to be a business tycoon…or somethin’.

Truth be told, I never picked writing.  It picked me.  During my time as a stay at home mom I needed an outlet to give me a mental break from diapers, formula and midnight feedings.  That’s when my hands found their way back to the keyboard.  Story ideas began coming at such an incessant rate that my rapidly clicking fingers couldn’t keep up.  Post-It notes and scrapes of paper with story ideas decorated every inch of our house.  In mid-conversation with my husband I would dart off to jot down things that would come to me.  Sweet guy my hubby is, he would just shake his head at my obvious rudeness and hold my place in the conversation.

My first book was completed for an entire year before I told anyone about it.  I outed myself as an author and then sent out my first round of query letters to literary agents.  Surely, it would be picked up immediately and become an overnight success!  Yeah, not so much.  For two years I got rejection, after rejection, after rejection, after rejection…you get the idea.  Thankfully with the ever increasing pile of rejections came feedback.  I digested all the suggestions and applied the usable ones to my manuscript.  Little by little, the rough edges were chipped away and the diamond shone through.  The work paid off when I received an email from a publisher offering me a contract on The Conduit.

It’s been a long road, and it ain’t over yet.  But now, at thirty-mumble, mumble years old I finally know what I wanna be when I grow up–-a writer.


Authors Links




0 comments: