Tuesday, November 6, 2012

[Interview] with Author of Relocated, Margaret Fieland






Welcome Author Margret Fieland

Born and raised in New York City, Margaret Fieland has been around art and music all her life. Daughter of a painter, she is the mother of three grown sons and an accomplished flute and piccolo player. She is an avid science fiction fan, and selected Robert A. Heinlein's “Farmer in the Sky” for her tenth birthday, now long past. She lives in the suburbs west of Boston, MA with her partner and a large number of dogs. Her poems, articles and stories have appeared in journals and anthologies such as Melusine, Front Range Review, Umbrella Journal and All Rights Reserved. In spite of making her living as a computer software engineer, she turned to one of her sons to format the initial version of her website, a clear illustration of the computer generation gap.  Her book, "Relocated," was released by MuseItUp Publishing in July, 2012. The Angry Little Boy," will be published by 4RV publishing in early 2013.  





If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
Flying. I've always wanted to fly. I also want a car that will sprout helicopter blades from the roof so that when I'm stuck in traffic, I could simply fly over it. Me or the car -- preferably both.

Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
Having people read and enjoy my book.

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.
 A: Because it has cool aliens, a great plot, and an engaging main character.

Favorite food?
 Brie cheese, eggplant Parmesan,

What book are reading now?
Janet Burroway: Writing Fiction
Jan Smith and Roman Joost: GIMP for absolute beginners, I'm on chapter 3, which hasn't stopped me from playing with the program.
Daniel Steel: The Dating Game

What’s your favorite season/weather?
Between fifty and sixty degrees and sunny. Once it gets much over seventy, I get too warm. 

What was your favorite children's book?
Alice in Wonderland. I'm a huge book addict, and when I was in college, I'd avoid the library during exam time. I'd suffer book withdrawal, so I'd reread Alice. I also taught myself to write backward and wiggle my ears while studying for exams.

Beach or Pool?
 Beach. I love the beach, the sand, the waves, the water stretching out t to meet the sky. Ah, summer...

What is one book everyone should read?
The bible. My favorite is the King James version. My middle son read the entire old testament as a project for church in 7th grade. When he went through basic training, the only book he could bring was the bible, so he read it again.

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
I'm working on editing another tween/YA featuring one of the kids from Relocated. The action takes place right after Relocated. I've also got an adult sci fi novel featuring one of the adult characters from the novel. The action in that one takes place four years after Relocated ends. The adult novel is with a couple of beta readers, and the revised chapters of the YA one are going through my critique group.

Margaret, thanks so much for visiting with us today!


Relocated
by Margaret Fieland
Genre: Tween/YA sci fi
Publisher: MuseItUp Publishing

When fourteen-year-old Keth's dad is transferred to planet Aleyne, he doesn't know what to expect. Certainly not to discover Dad grew up here, and studied with Ardaval, a noted Aleyni scholar. On Aleyne, Keth’s psi ability develops. However, psi is illegal in the Terran Federation. After a dangerous encounter with two Terran teenagers  conflict erupts between Keth and his father. Keth seeks sanctuary with Ardaval.  Studying with the Aleyne scholar Keth learns the truth about his own heritage. After Keth's friend's father, Mazos, is kidnapped, Keth ignores the risks and attempts to free him. Little does he realize who will pay the cost as he becomes involved with terrorists.

2 comments:

Margaret Fieland said...

Michelle, thanks for hosting me today.

Elisabeth said...

That's the superpower my mom wants about every time she makes her ninety minute commute!