Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Review of The Mesmerized by Rhiannon Frater



The Mesmerized
by Rhiannon Frater 

Summary from Goodreads

It is silence, not screams of terror, which proclaims the end of the world…

Minji Nordim is vacationing in Las Vegas with her small family when she witnesses the beginning of a terrifying apocalypse. When humanity is transformed into mindless drones by a terrifying supernatural event only Minji appears to be immune.

Thousands die instantly, but the other affected people are drawn to the Nevada desert. Nothing stands in the way of the mesmerized. Not fire, not heights, not rubble. As the bodies pile in the streets and the relentless wave of the mesmerized plods into the deadly desert, Minji is trapped in a burning city attempting to rescue her affected family.
Can one woman save her family and the world?





I was privileged enough to be given a copy of Rhiannon Frater’s  The Mesmerized,  to read from Permuted Press.

SPOILER ALERT!! :)

I have never read a book that touched me so deeply as a mom as this book. It hit right at home. I know you are saying “What? This book isn’t some touchy feely book. It’s supposed to be a horror novel and it’s Rhiannon. There are always gory zombies or blood sucking vampires but not that kind of book.” Well Rhiannon hit it on the head. There’s not many or if any, horror books that a mom can TOTALLY identify with but this one I can. That protective momma bear comes out in us when anybody messes with our babies, no matter our race, nationality, or in this case alien entity that we may be.  Also, most moms can immediately feel compassion and want to help any mom that is going through anything with their child.

Minji, the main character, is a mom and a wife that loves her family more than anything and won’t stop until she helps them at all cost. She is a kick butt momma that not only wants to save her family but also the world. Working a long with Alec, Simone, and Jesse, they strive to figure out a way to return the alien entities and release the mesmerized. And as always you have to have at least one douchbag like Arthur, that the entire book you just want to punch him in the face. I was just hoping he would walk right of the side of the world. Grrr!

I don’t often finish a book and immediately want to re-read it but as I finished this book I was thinking “Man I really would like to go back now and read it slower to catch everything”. Most of the time when I get really involved in a book (like most of Rhiannon’s) I read really fast and I sometimes miss things. So soon hopefully, I’ll read it again.  

So to sum this all up, I LOVED this book! It was really easy to give this one 5 stars without even thinking about it. And Thank You Rhiannon, for giving us a refreshing new book that as a mom I could identify with it in more than one way. Plus it was creepy and horrific at the same time. Does that sound warped? LOL! Well it was AWESOME!



0 comments: